In Kukerin, Western Australia, on the route between Perth and Esperance, this very popular, eco-friendly farm stay has rooms and self catering accommodation and can make a great introduction to Australian outback rural life, with the extra novelty of it having a yabby (freshwater crayfish) packing plant at the farm.
They have very comfortable B&B rooms with air conditioning, private bathroom, flat-screen TV and DVD player and some self-catering cottages which also have a lounge/seating area and full kitchen. Whether self catering or not you can arrange good meals, breakfast included, to be cooked for you at the farm, and as you might expect they do a nice range of yabbie dishes.
You’ll find it a friendly sociable place and it has lots of outdoor space, with a barbecue and a children’s playground.
The farm produces wheat, barley lupins and peas and, as mentioned above, has a large yabby packing centre. The owners started off in the nineties supplying just one restaurant in Perth, under the brand name Cambinata, but have expanded greatly since, supplying yabbies to far flung markets in Asia, Europe and the United States. The yabbies are supplied by around 700 farmers from all around Western Australia.
The farm is just outside the tiny town of Kukerin (motto: Small But Strong), and just off the main road between Perth and Esperance. This is the heart of Western Australia’s wheat belt and Kukerin is a small, typically Australian farming community which is always friendly and welcoming to visitors.
The distances here are large of course but there are a number of diversions relatively nearby. Drive for about a half an hour to the east and you’ll come to Lake Grace for example, with its natural salt lakes in various shades of pink and green and its wildlife filled nature reserve wildlife. And, less than an hour back to the west and you’ll come to another spectacular salt lake at Dumbleyung.
You’ll find many of those iconic rocky outcrops towering over this part of Australia too, with two of Western Australia’s most well known; Bruce Rock and Wave Rock, both being within two hours of the farmstay. The friendly owners at Mary’s farm cottages know the whole area well and can advise on all sorts of things to see and do.
Note: There is no WiFi on the farm but you will have cellular phone access.
WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY:
Joanne from Australia: “Really lovely getaway with beautiful rural setting. Relaxing, inviting and must do.”
Emma from Australia: “Beautiful cottages with stunning views. Charming hosts, the yabbie dinner was delicious.”
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- 3486 Dumbleyung-Lake Grace Rd
- Laundry Facilities
People are also looking at these nearby farm stays:
- A vintage railway carriage dating all the way back to 1908 can be your home on this eco-friendly, glamping farm stay near Perth and Guilford, and just on the edge of the famous Swan Valley wine region. The accommodation is appealingly retro, cosy and comfortable, the owners are friendly and there is a lot to do and see around Read more...
- This peaceful relaxing farm stay is near Perth, at the edge of the famous Swan Valley wine route. It’s only about 45 minutes drive from the centre of Perth in fact, and less again from the airport. THE ACCOMMODATION: The accommodation is in the form of an ‘executive suite’; a spacious and very comfortable self catering chalet with a Read more...
- This popular farm stay in Pemberton, near the coast of Western Australia, is a self catering cottage on a working farm and vineyard surrounded by rainforest. The clean and comfortable cottage is beside the farmhouse and has three bedrooms, a full kitchen dining area and lounge, two spa baths, a nice open fireplace and an outside patio with barbecue. Read more...
- Less than a half an hour from Perth city centre, this Swan Valley farmstay is very highly rated and with good reason. It is stylish and chic, akin to a boutique hotel, but with a pleasant country farmhouse vibe. You’ll find the owners hospitable and friendly and the breakfast here is particularly good. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have two double Read more...