No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Here are our choices for the best child friendly/family friendly agriturismo farm stays, ranch stays & vineyard hotels in 2022! All come with instant online booking & lowest price guaranteed via Booking.com.
- Among the rich vineyards of the Pays de la Loire , France, this very beautiful, rustic farm stay is in an old manor house surrounded by lawns, vineyards, a small organic farm and 100 year old woodland. THE ACCOMMODATION: Their 5 tastefully decorated rooms are comfortable and clean and have a certain old world elegance. They have private bathroom and WiFi and look out onto the the gardens, the farm and the lake, A very nice continental breakfast is served every morning and your hosts can also cook you some really fantastic regional cuisine some of which is made using the farm’s own produce. The owners used to run a restaurant in Paris and you will certainly not be disappointed by the food. THE FARM: The farm has a variety of animals, including horses, hens and peacocks. There is also an organic vegetable garden and a winery where the owners make their own range of organic wines. The owners are passionate about wine, and food, and love to show guests around the winery, allowing them to taste the produce and educate themselves a little on the delicate craft of organic winemaking. And they also organizes tours and visits to neighbouring vineyards. THE LOCATION: The Château borders the 100 kilometer wide Loire-Anjou-Touraine Regional Natural Park, which roughly follows the Loire River between Angers and Langeais. It’s a lovely area to explore with stretches of forest, hills and waterways interspersed with small farms and scenic towns. Candes-Saint-Martin is one such town with a lovely position overlooking the convergence of the Loire and Vienne rivers, the historic Chinon too is worth a visit, as is Crissay-sur-Manse, usually near the top of any kind of France’s prettiest villages type list. There is also the Chateau Azay-le-Rideau in the town of the same name, which is a bit special due to its location right on the banks of the Indre river. WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY: “We wanted peace and quiet and we found it. Wonderful room and property overall. Superb breakfast, Nicole is the most generous hostess. A perfect weekend….” “Beautiful surroundings. Spacious and comfy bedroom. Amazing host. Great breakfast full of homemade goodies….” >> CLICK READ MORE
- Ideal for a romantic getaway from Sydney, Emirates One & Only lies hidden away in the Blue Mountain’s Wolgan Valley, between Wollemi National Park and the Gardens of Stone National Park. It is without doubt one of the finest luxury, rural retreats in NSW and offers 40 plush and spacious, eco friendly villas each with private swimming pool. The setting too is sublime; they are part of a seven thousand acres wildlife reserve which boasts some of NSW’s most beautiful scenery. THE ACCOMMODATION: The opulent villas come with one two or three bedrooms, all beautifully designed and furnished in rustic country chic style. They also all come with a range of luxury features, including the above mentioned private swimming pool. Check out all the details on the booking page here. It is a self-contained, all inclusive resort and most room rates include gourmet breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, with a range of wines, beers and non-alcoholic beverages gratis alongside them. You have a variety of dining options on the estate including the stylish Wolgan Dining Room with panoramic views, the more casual restaurant The Country Kitchen, and the Valley Bar & Terrace which includes a walk-in wine cellar. Emirates One & Only is very much a place to unwind and destress, and you can do exactly as little as you’d like, though activities are numerous, with 4-wheel drive wildlife safaris (day and night), mountain biking, horse riding, tennis, archery, yoga, bush walks, stargazing, campfire gourmet picnics and much more to be enjoyed. Two packages from their menu of organized nature based activities are complimentary for guests and the One & Only also has a high tech fitness centre, tennis courts, a swimming pool, saunas, steam rooms, and a range of highly praised spa treatments, including beauty therapy using Sodashi skin care products. The Emirates can be a great romantic getaway for couples; the place is so vast that you can have as much privacy as you need, but it also caters very well for kids with a supervised kid’s club with various activities for them, including educational ones where they can learn about nature and conservation alongside bush walking, orienteering, READ MORE
- Agroturismo Iabiti-Aurrekoa is a peaceful, eco-friendly farmhouse B&B very near Bilbao airport in Spain’s Basque Country. It has a range of rooms in its beautifully restored 19th-century farmhouse surrounded by acres of gardens and orchard groves. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have a selection of 6 double and twin rooms at the eco-friendly farmhouse, all of which are tastefully decorated in keeping with the traditional feel of the house, with exposed stone walls and wood beamed ceilings. They have modern comforts too; WiFi, flat screen TV, underfloor heating and very nice en-suite bathrooms, and you can expect the best of service from the hospitable owners. They is a common lounge area downstairs too with a fireplace and outside you’ll find plenty of seating in the extensive gardens surrounded by flowers and fruit trees from which you can help yourself to some fresh figs, kiwi fruit, apples and plums. THE LOCATION: The hotel is very near Blbao, it’s just 15 minutes from the city centre in fact, and less than 10 minutes from Bilbao airport. It can be a nice alternative to a usual airport hotel for some travellers and though the location is convenient it still has a very rural, relaxing charm. Nearby Zamudio has plenty of history going back to Roman times and was part of the medieval Camino de Santiago on its way from France to Galicia, though the modern French Way now takes a different route through Biscay and along the Guipuzcoan coast. This ancient stretch, between Bilbao and Guernika can still be walked via a marked path which runs along a stretch of the old road from Bilbao to Guernica and through historic sites such as the 17th-century Arikondo Bridge and the Baroque Palace at Larragoiti, as well as some lovely oak woodland and typically green rural Basque scenery. Golf lovers will be pleased to know there are four decent golf courses within 15 minutes drive of the hotel, the best one being at the Laukariz Country Club, a full 27 hole course in a beautiful natural setting near the town of Munguia. WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY: “This is such a lovely agroturismo property. Tucked away off a suburban road, you READ MORE
- Le Domaine d’Ablon is a luxury farm stay rural retreat near to Le Harve and the artistic coastal town of Honfleur, in rural Pays d’Auge, Lower Normandy. Accommodation is offered in classically Norman half timbered farmhouses, and the design, both interior and exterior is impeccable. You’ll find the interiors comfortable and plush but with a very pleasant rustic feel while the farm itself has organic orchards and vegetable gardens which offer some of the ingredients for the very highly regarded food on offer. Cooking and horticulture classes, amongst others, can be arranged on site too. THE ACCOMMODATION: There is a choice of double suites, in order of size; the Standard Suite, the Queen Suite and the King Suite, with The King being the largest. Even the standard suite though, if it was in most other hotels it would be considered a top choice, being around 40 sqm in size and the epitome of comfort and style. There is also a self catering cottage on site which has a huge amount of space, with two bedrooms (one double, one twin), a large lounge with an open fireplace, a kitchen and a private patio and garden area outside. The bathrooms are particular highlight in all of the accommodation choices, spacious and rather opulent, they come with a nice old style standing bathtub and a range of Bvulgari bath products. Le Domaine d’Ablon is a luxury hotel but also an agritourism farm stay; it prides itself on offering up some of the best local, seasonal food in Normandy and the owners take great care in producing much of the ingredients themselves. They grow a range of organic vegetables and fruits on site as well as various herbs some of which are medicinal herbs, and the owners and staff are a great source of knowledge about all things horticulture and food. The food is truly excellent and if you would like to try and recreate it yourself at home you arrange a cooking class with the head chef, Jérôme Billochon, which also includes an educational tour of the kitchen gardens. There are other courses at the farm too; photography, flower arranging, gardening, origami and even beekeeping. READ MORE
- Ystumgwern is a friendly organic farm stay in Snowdonia, North Wales, offering luxury self catering accommodation in converted barns around a renovated 15th-century traditional stone farmhouse. It is very near the golden beaches of the Cambrian coast and within the boundaries of the spectacular Snowdonia National Park. THE ACCOMMODATION: It has a range of stylish self catering converted barns that can fit up to five people per unit. They are all fully central heated, all have their own private entrance, a lounge & dining area with TV and DVD player, varying numbers of bedrooms and bathrooms, and a modern kitchen. There is a children’s play area and games room at the farmhouse with a pool table, tables tennis and plenty of games for kids. THE FARM: The farm is a very large, working organic farm with flocks of sheep and some goats. It has a full 1,000 acres of farmland in a lovely setting overlooking the sandy beaches of the Cambrian coast. THE LOCATION: The location is simply wonderful; it has the Snowdonia National Park and its rugged mountains and valleys to the east and north; undoubtedly some of Britain’s best scenery, and very much a nature lovers paradise with plenty of trails of varying degrees of difficulty for hiking and mountain biking. The Rhinog mountain range is the nearest mountain range to the farmstay, there you can lose yourself in some spectacular terrain; visit Cwm Bychan with its peaceful lake and Roman Steps, or the rocky mountains around Cwm Nantcol with some beautiful waterfalls and quiet woodland full of undisturbed wildlife. The Snowdonia Mountain Railway comes highly recommended. It is a relaxing train ride that runs through some really jaw dropping scenery around the mountains and high above the valleys. To the south and west of the farmstay there is a fantastic ten mile stretch of beach that runs between the pretty towns of Harlech and Barmouth. Harlech has much history and is famous for its impressive hilltop castle and is also the site of the Royal St. David’s golf course. Barmouth has a lovely setting overlooking Cardigan Bay on the estuary of the River Mawddach and both it and Harlech READ MORE
- Bólstaðarhlíð Farm has very nice self catering rooms in the middle of a lovely green valley in the north of Iceland. The farmhouse is in traditional style but thoroughly modern and comfortable, with three en-suite double bedrooms, and access to a sociable shared lounge and the large, well equipped, kitchen too. The area and the farm itself is beautifully quiet and serene, and makes for a wonderful place to unwind. THE ACCOMMODATION: There are three double/twin rooms to choose from all of which are simply furnished and extremely clean and comfortable. The shared lounge has plenty of seating space and a smart/satellite TV (with Netflix) and there is WiFi throughout the building. The kitchen is modern and well equipped and the bathrooms are particularly nice. THE FARM: Bólstaðarhlíð has a working farm which has been in the same family for nearly 200 years. They usually have about 100 sheep and a number of horses at the farm these days, along with a friendly dog and cat at the farmhouse. The setting is a tidy little valley amid green hills and a winding river and with the sheep grazing peacefully it is a beautifully quiet and relaxing place to wander around. The friendly farm owners are always happy to show guests around the farm and you are free to explore yourself, take a walk around the mountains, sit by the river or visit the beautiful little church at the farm which dates all the way back to 1888. THE LOCATION: Though way up in the north of Iceland getting to the farm isn’t all that difficult, being just off the main (road no.1) ring road from Reykjavík. It’s also about 20 minutes drive from the well known town of Blönduos, something of a tourist hub in these parts. and somewhere where you can find shops, cafes, restaurants, bars, a golf course and an Icelandic handicrafts museum. This part of Iceland is also good for whale watching and inland you’ll also find some of the best trout and salmon fishing rivers in the country, many of them quite near the farm. The scenery around here can be quite extraordinary, with so much rugged terrain, READ MORE
- Surrounded by thick forests and mountains, Farm Stay Zur alten Schmiede is a beautiful self-catering 3-bedroom chalet on a working farm in the Zirbitzkogel Nature Park, Styria, Austrian Alps. The comfortable chalet comes with traditional Alpine wooden furniture, there is a fully equipped kitchenette (inc. dishwasher and washing machine) private bathroom and dining area. There is also free WiFi and cable TV. There is a playground for the kids outside and a playroom inside. They also have a ski storage room and a cosy lounge with a traditional alpine tiled oven. As you might expect the area is fabulous for hiking and winter sports. Ski area Gredenzen is just 15 minutes away by car and the likes of Lake Furtnerteich and Golf Club Mariahof, which also has tennis courts, are less than 5 minutes away. WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY: “Super Location, friendly welcome, and a very nice house with comfortable beds. We can recommend Alten Schmiede and will come back!….” >> CLICK HERE TO READ MORE REVIEWS & TO BOOK YOUR STAY AT FERIENHAUS ZUR ALTEN SCHMIEDE: READ MORE
- In Dieffenthal in the heart of the Alsace wine route, between Strasbourg and Colmar, France, Le Vieux Pressoir has self catering accommodation in a traditional Alsatian farmhouse on the grounds of a working vineyard estate. They have a huge choice of accommodation, ranging from double studio apartments to a huge, eight bedroom cottage gite, perfect for large groups. All of the accommodation you will find comfortable, clean and well equipped. You can hire bikes direct from the friendly owners and they are always happy to show you around the estate and winery, and teach you a little about their wine making. WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY: “Very pretty property with lovely gardens. We were able to check in much earlier than the advertised time and were made to feel very welcome….” “Friendly hosts, nice environment, good quality rooms. Well worth its price….” >> CLICK HERE TO READ MORE REVIEWS & TO BOOK YOUR STAY AT LE VIEUX PRESSOIR: READ MORE
- La Roulotte de Manon is a very cute, family friendly, glamping farm stay near Rouen in the heart of rural Normandy, France. THE ACCOMMODATION: The accommodation is a gorgeously old fashioned gypsy caravan sitting at the edge of the farm pond. It can fit up to five people, with a double bed at the back and two sofa beds in the lounge area. It is small of course but very cosy. It has a bathroom, and a useful kitchenette including a microwave. It’s fully heated too, has a small TV, a nice little porch area and barbecue facilities outside. THE FARM: The farm has horses, ponies, hens and goats, and guests are very welcome to tour the farm and meet the animals. They grow various vegetables too and have a large garden area with a children’s playground and plenty of seating around. There is also the pond just outside the caravan which hosts a number of ducks and wildfowl. THE LOCATION: The farmstay is just a half an hour’s drive from the lovely cathedral city of Rouen, one of Normandy’s highlights and a popular stop off on the journey from Paris to the coast. The countryside around is green and fertile and the area has very strong farming traditions. There are some national parks in this part of Normandy too; the woodlands of Forêt Domaniele d’Eawy for example are only about 10km away from the farmstay. A little over a half an hour to the north is the city of Dieppe and the Normandy coastline. There are many fine sights along this part of the coast, the dramatic cliff scenery over Le Treport for example, the impressive 16th-century castle at Eu and many more. WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY: “Lots of outdoor space, even in poor weather stuff for kids to do. Very peaceful. Friendly host….” “The Roulotte was very cosy and perfect for a family stay….” >> CLICK HERE TO READ MORE REVIEWS & TO BOOK YOUR STAY AT LA ROULOTTE DE MANON: READ MORE
- Chambres a la Ferme offers exactly that near the town of Combourg, Brittany and near also to Mont Saint-Michel, St. Malo and the regional capital Rennes. The farmhouse, the farm and the surroundings make for a quaint and very relaxing B&B farm stay holiday in the heart of upper Brittany, where you will be welcomed with traditional Breton hospitality and a generous breakfast every morning. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have just two rooms at the property which can sleep up to three people and you’ll find them both comfortable and nicely decorated. There is a common lounge area with TV at the farmhouse and the rooms have their own private entrance with a terrace just outside. There is a nice garden area outside too with more seating and a children’s playground. THE FARM: A fully working cattle farm, the property also has a number of hens as well as friendly goats and some shetland ponies that are usually a hit with the children. THE LOCATION: The farm is less than 5km from the town of Combourg which is a common stop off on the upper Brittany tourist trail, with its main attraction being the medieval fortress of Combourg Castle, once the childhood home of one of France’s most renowned historical figures Francois-Rene de Chateaubriand. It is also within a half an hours drive of St. Malo and the iconic, and very much photographed, island commune of Mont Saint-Michel in next door Normandy. The vibrant university city and regional capital of Rennes with its wealth of traditional half timbered houses and its grand cathedral is also close by, less than 40km away to the south. The countryside surrounding the farm stay is green and lush and a delight to explore. It’s generally flat and the roads are relatively traffic free so it is great place for long country walks and for cycling and you can hire bikes directly from the farmhouse. Horse riding trips can also be arranged, just ask at the farm for details of that plus other things to see and do in the locality. WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY: “Lovely old working dairy farm. Superb self contained accommodation with the owner’s artistic READ MORE
- This very popular organic & eco-friendly farm stay is just outside the city of Lagos on Portugal’s Algarve coast, with the nearest beach, Meia Praia, just four kilometres away while Faro airport is about 60 km. The farm produces a large range of organic fruit and vegetables in the fields and gardens, which you can buy for cooking at one of their self catering cottages, all of which come with a fully equipped kitchen, a lounge area with a flat screen TV, and a double bedroom and bathroom. They also have a small terrace at the front and outdoor seating space overlooking the gardens and the surrounding countryside. Apart from the beaches of the Algarve, the area around Quinta das Seis Marias is great for exploring; you’ll find plenty of places to go hiking and cycling, and you can hire bikes for free straight from the farm. WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY: “Beautiful environment and comfortable accommodation. Able to pick herbs, tomatoes etc. right outside the front door….” “Fantastic! The hospitality, the place, the breakfast. It was amazing. They are doing everything to make it comfortable for you. Quiet place, close to the beach and the city….” >>CLICK HERE TO READ MORE REVIEWS & TO BOOK YOUR STAY AT QUINTA DAS SEIS MARIAS: READ MORE
- Just north of Tucson, Arizona and just 1.6 km from Saguaro National Park, this friendly desert dude ranch is famous for its horseback riding with great trail rides for everyone from novice to experienced. Lessons are of course given too and they’ve got a fun rodeo every Wednesday. But it’s got lots more too; An outdoor pool, an indoor hot tub, a fitness center, a tennis court, a business center and even a movie theater. Children will find plenty to entertain themselves with too. All their comfortable rooms and suites have en-suite bathroom and all come with a terrace as well as such features like an iPod docking station and a mini fridge. The food’s great too. They have a top quality breakfast with cooked and continental options available. And later in the day a lunch and dinner buffet is available with drinks and snacks readily available anytime. READ MORE
- Agriturismo Casale Degli Ulivi is a top quality farmhouse B&B near Alghero, and the Coral Riviera where you’ll find some of Sardinia’s and indeed Italy’s most beautiful beaches. Their 30 acre farm grows grapes, olives and various fruits and vegetables, their accommodation is modern, clean and comfortable and outside in the well tended gardens you have a hot tub and a swimming pool at your disposal. THE ACCOMMODATION: The farmhouse dates from 1930 but has been completely renovated in 2015 and there they have a range of rooms to sleep up to four people. All of them are quite modern in style though the exposed wood beamed ceilings also give them a nicely rustic farmhouse feel. They are all super clean and comfortable and come with nice private bathrooms too. The property is eco-friendly; the renovations incorporated a photovoltaic system for hot water and heating and overall the building has a A + energy class certificate. Their breakfast is highly rated by guests and it features some of their own farm produce including their own eucalyptus honey and various home made jams. This you can take inside or outside on the lovely veranda overlooking the gardens which have a swimming pool, a hot tub and plenty of space to lounge around or sunbathe. Beyond that there are the grapevines, olive groves and orchards which you are of course free to wander around. THE LOCATION: In the heart of some lovely peaceful countryside, this agriturismo is also just minutes away from the stunning beaches of the Coral Riviera. The lovely, and ever popular, city of Alghero is just 9 km away too, with its international airport even closer at 3 km. Porto Ferro is 4 km away while the incredibly beautiful coastal park of Porto Conte is just 6 km, and there are plenty more beautiful places to see too. You’ll find the friendly owners of Agriturismo Casale Degli Ulivi will have plenty of tips and advice about this wonderful area. WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY: “The produce from this farm is high quality and INCREDIBLE! My favorite was the homemade ricotta with marmalade and honey (all grown, raised, and made on the property). Also, Anna READ MORE
- In Paços de Gaiolo, Portugal, about 40 kilometres along the Douro Valley to the east of Porto, Quinta da Bouça is a very lovely escape to nature, with 16 hectacres of woodland, fruit orchards and vegetables gardens along with a seasonal outdoor pool and barbecue facilities. They have four spacious and comfortable self catering cottages to rent, all with kitchen and lounge with flat screen TV and WiFi. And guests are welcome to wander through the woods or gardens, pick up some fruit or vegetables and maybe meet some of the friendly Garranos horses, a rare breed of horse native to Northern Portugal and Galicia, Spain, which roam freely around the property. WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY: “I can not recommend this place enough, it was absolutely gorgeous! We can not wait to be back there. It exceeded our expectations! Thank you!…” “The place is beautiful, peaceful, with amazing views. The owner, Paula, was super nice and helpful. I strongly recommend Quinta da Bouça if you want a completely stress free place to restore your energy….” >>CLICK HERE TO READ MORE REVIEWS & TO BOOK YOUR STAY AT QUINTA DA BOUÇA: READ MORE
- Tenuta di Petriolo is a gorgeous vineyard hotel situated in Torrita di Siena, Tuscany, conveniently near to both Siena and Arezzo. The estate dates back to the 1700s and the imposing manor house has beautifully decorated interiors; wood beamed and frescoed ceilings, antique furniture and ancient wine cellars which resonate history and an old fashioned sense of class and style. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have a range of spacious B&B rooms, ranging from doubles to quadruples. All of them are classically decorated in keeping with the historical atmosphere of the property, and offer style and opulence belonging to a different era, though with modern conveniences like flat screen TV and WiFi. All the accommodation is B&B and the buffet breakfast is generous, varied and fresh. The manor house is large and there is plenty of common space to explore with lounge and dining space and even a lovely little chapel. And also externally where you’ll find patios, well tended gardens, a swimming pool and rows of vines and olive trees. There are fifteen acres of Sangiovese grape vineyards in total that have, since 1974, been supplying Chianti DOCG Colli Senesi and Chardonnay. You are of course welcome to sample some, and to buy to take home, and you can also arrange tours of the vineyards and the wine cellars in the company of the friendly and enthusiastic staff and owners. THE LOCATION: Tenuta di Petriolo is just outside the town of Torrita di Siena in the heart of Val di Chiana. (You can read more about the area here) This is a particularly lovely part of rural Tuscany and is a convenient base for visiting some important historical towns and cities, being just 45km from the city of Siena, 18km from Pienza and just 12km from the town of Montepulciano. There are also many other historical towns in the surroundings, too many to mention really, and the whole area is a pleasure to tour around, though of course you may also be tempted to just stay put at the hotel such is the beauty of the place! The nearest airport is Perugia San Francesco d’Assisi Airport, but both Florence and Pisa airports are also READ MORE
- This peaceful, friendly farm stay near Sydney NSW, overlooks the Kangaroo Valley and has lodge style accommodation on a working horse & cattle farm with some really gorgeous views of the surrounding countryside. Horse riding is a big feature at the farmstay; you can arrange lessons and trail rides that are among Australia‘s most beautiful, into the Morton National Park right next door for example, through rainforests and even right up to the top of Mt. Moollootoo. Kids too can enjoy a ride on one of their ponies. THE ACCOMMODATION: The self catering accommodation is in the form of old style timber lodges; the bigger lodge can accommodate up to eight people, with two separate double bedrooms and four single bunk beds in the lounge area. There are also two bathrooms, a fully equipped open plan kitchen and lounge with an open log fire, and there’s a barbecue area just outside the door. The smaller mini lodge has an open plan lounge & kitchen, bathroom and a mezzanine level above with a queen size bed. The sofa in the lounge area also opens out into a double bed so it can a fit a total of four people. There’s a barbecue area just outside the door too. Note: For a digital detox there is no WiFi! PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos on the booking page here. THE FARM: It’s a working farm with a herd of cattle and dozens of horses. The owners are horse experts and enthusiasts, and have years of experience of horse riding, teaching and exploring the local area on horseback. The farm itself leads on to Mt. Moollootoo and has sections of open pasture land, rainforest and open bush that leads into Morton National Park. All of which makes it a really special place for horse riding and there are dozens of fantastic trails that the owners are always happy to guide you around. You can head up through the rainforest to the top of Mt Moollootoo from where the views are simply spectacular, taking in Morton Park, the Kangaroo River & Lake Yurunga. They have a few friendly READ MORE
- Kimaro Farm, near Colmery has luxury glamping safari tents, for up to six people, hidden away in some of Burgundy, France’s loveliest countryside. The tents are spacious and well equipped, and all come with a small kitchen, bathroom and heating. The farmland around is completely idyllic; with woodland, meadow fields and orchards where a great assortment of things are grown; pears, plums, cherries, grapes, figs, hazelnuts, blackberries, raspberries and more. Guests can collect fresh eggs from the hen house for breakfast every morning and spend their days wandering through the meadows and the forests or just lazing with a picnic by the lake. THE ACCOMMODATION: In the meadow fields with plenty of privacy are the wooden framed, colonial style, safari tents. They have one four poster double bed, one standard double bed, two bunk beds, seating, a kitchen and dining table, a bathroom, and heating in the form of a gas stove. There is also a romantic old style claw foot bathtub in the tent and outside there is a swinging couch on the private veranda which also has space for lounging and dining. As mentioned, the accommodation has a kitchen and so is self catering but if you want to really relax, the friendly owners can sometimes cook meals for you, and can also recommend some good local restaurants and cafes. In peak season, i.e. July & August, there is a minimum stay of seven nights (Saturday to Saturday) with a minimum stay of 2 nights the rest of the year. THE LOCATION: Just outside the little town of Colmery in the Nièvre department of Burgundy, Kimaro is as idyllically peaceful and rural a place as you can ever imagine. There is much farmland around here, and vineyards too of course, but also much woodland. Burgundy in general is one of the most highly wooded regions in the country with an estimated 30% of its area covered in trees. Thus it has a slightly wilder feel than most of France’s other agricultural regions, and is also very rich in native wildlife. There is a large forest just beside the farm in fact with hiking trails running through it and much READ MORE
- Very near Coimbra, the 5 star Quinta das Lagrimas is part agroturismo, part Royal Palace and part luxury spa hotel, and had been a quiet sanctuary for Kings and Emperors for centuries, before recently opening its doors to paying guests. It is also the place where one of Portugal’s most infamous love stories took place; the story of Pedro & Inês. This was the XIVth-century love affair between Prince Pedro and Inês de Castro which lurched, as they all do, from deep romance to deep tragedy when Inês was murdered on the orders of King Alfonso, Pedro’s father. This famous story inspired the name of the property; Quinta das Lagrimas/The Estate of Tears, and these days it offers superb luxury in a setting that is uniquely atmospheric and compelling. THE ACCOMMODATION: There is a great choice of B&B rooms and suites, ranging from more standard doubles to superb, top of the range, suites. Even the most ‘basic’ of rooms though are lovingly styled and come with a real touch of class. It is a five star hotel and you can expect the best in comfort and facilities but Quinta das Lagrimas differs in that it is a grand, stately property with a romantic, cultured, air that is impossible to find in more modern hotels. It is a joy to just wander around and soak in the atmosphere. Add to that the extensive botanical gardens outside with so many rare plant species from around the world, the excellent spa facilities, the indoor and outdoor swimming pools, the nine hole on site golf course and the two award winning gourmet restaurants, and you really have a break to remember. The seasonal restaurants serve up organic food that is locally sourced as much as is possible, ‘ Market Cuisine’ they like to call it here, but with much of the herbs, vegetables and fruits being sourced even closer, on the grounds themselves, picked fresh from the organic ‘Chef’s Garden’. THE LOCATION: Quinta das Lagrimas is just outside the charming university city of Coimbra, in the centre north of Portugal, roughly half way between Lisbon and Porto. Coimbra was once Portugal’s capital and has an enormous READ MORE