No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Here are our choices for the best self catering farm house stays in Toscana, Italy in 2023! All come with instant online booking & lowest price guaranteed via Booking.com.
- In the rolling hills south of Siena, Tuscany, Italy, pet friendly Tenuta di Corsano has a series of self-catering apartments in a classic 17th century farmhouse surrounded by vineyards, olive groves and vegetable plots. THE ACCOMMODATION: Their rustic apartments are cosy and comfortable with a kitchen and a lounge area and a choice of one, two and three bedrooms. They are traditional style with terracotta floors and wood beamed ceilings and all have WiFi, satellite TV, a kitchenette and living area. Outside you’ll find a swimming pool and extensive gardens, and the whole property has really lovely views over the surrounding countryside. Though the accommodation is self catering, both breakfast and even meals can also be arranged. THE FARM: It is a working farm with a busy trade in grapes and olives as well as many vegetables that make up some of the ingredients of their excellent home made food. The food at Ville di Corsano is of a very high standard and guests are generally very impressed by their hearty, healthy Tuscan dishes. If you find yourself equally impressed you can arrange cooking classes at the farmhouse which feature some of these same Tuscan specialities. THE LOCATION: The farm stay is on a wonderfully peaceful hillside but still just steps away from the little village of Ville di Corsano. Ville di Corsano is a very cute little place with a population of just 200, and has a church, a shop, a very good restaurant and a small winery. This surrounding area is of course classic rural Tuscany and all of it is fantastic to explore. You’ll find many hiking routes and nature trails around, and there is the nearby Alto Merse Nature Reserve, about 10km from the farmstay. There are many classically beautiful Tuscan towns around too, as well as historical sights and an abundance of food and wine tourism. The friendly farmstay owners at Tenuta di Corsano can give you lots of tips and recommendations, and they can organize tours and various other services such as car hire, bicycle hire, babysitting and transfers from the lovely city of Siena just 16km to the north. WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY: “This place READ MORE
- With spectacular views of San Gimignano, Tuscany, this lovely traditional farm stay has pet friendly B&B rooms and self-catering accommodation on an organic family farm and vineyard. It’s a homely, friendly place which produces quality wine and extra virgin olive oil, and keeps farm animals too. The food though is the real highlight at Fattoria San Donato, they have a traditional, organic, Tuscan restaurant which serves up some of the best fresh food around, much of which comes from their own farm. If you are impressed with the cooking, as you undoubtedly will, you can also arrange some excellent cooking classes with chef and owner, Federica. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have some nice self catering apartments, and B&B double rooms with private bathroom. All of them are spacious and decorated with a rustic, traditional, Tuscan style. The apartments have two double bedrooms, but there is also a sofa bed in the lounge that can be converted into another double for two extra guests. The lounge is large and comes with a kitchenette too. You can enjoy some really fantastic food and wine at the farm restaurant including a lavish buffet breakfast in the mornings and various meals throughout the day. And, as mentioned above, cooking classes can be arranged too. Outside you’ll find a swimming pool in the large gardens where you can also play table tennis and the kids can enjoy the playground. And all of this with really stunning views of the surrounding countryside, including those iconic towers of San Gimignano. There’s a lot going on in their busy organic farm, it has farm animals; goats, pigs, hens and ducks, and grows vegetables, herbs and fruits including olives and of course grapes. Around the edges of the farm there are patches of woodland that lead on into the Castelvecchio Nature Reserve which has some rugged scenery and lots of local wildlife. The family are always happy to show guests around the farm and the cellars, and to show them how they make their wines, oils and various other food products. You’ll have plenty of opportunity to enjoy some tasting sessions too. THE LOCATION: The family are also always happy to READ MORE
- On a 60 hectacre working organic farm producing extra virgin olive oil and award winning red and white wines, this delightful Agriturismo near San Gimignano and the cities of Siena and Florence, Tuscany, has a lovely hillside setting with tremendous views over the surrounding countryside. THE ACCOMMODATION: They offer a range of rustic style self-catering apartments, which have wood beamed ceilings and terracotta floors, a living room/lounge area and a kitchen plus their own private garden with seating. There is a lot of lovely space outside, with a swimming pool, a playground and plenty of space to dine or to relax and just take in the Tuscan sun, surrounded by the vineyards and olive groves. THE FARM, THE FOOD & THE WINE: Their farm is a full 60 acres of vineyard and olive groves and has won awards for its wine, both whites and reds as well as that Tuscan classic dessert wine, Vin Santo. It also produces a large amount of extra virgin olive oil, with around 2500 olive trees on the farm. All of it is organic which requires an extra level of care and attention and the owners are happy to share some of the secrets with guests. They do full tours of the farm, the winery and the production lines, and their enthusiasm for the craft is infectious. Of course you are welcome to buy some of their produce to take home or you can even arrange to have it shipped home for you after your departure. THE LOCATION: Even by Tuscan standards this farmstay has an enviable location being just three kilometers from the gorgeous medieval town of San Gimignano. It is surrounded by classically beautiful Tuscan countryside, and being nearly 350 meters above sea level, the views are quite special, and make it a quite inspiring place for painters and photographers. It is also on the ancient pilgrimage route; the Via Francigena, which in medieval times ran from England, France and Switzerland all the way down through Italy to Rome. You can walk or cycle along the route and also take in some of the local historical religious sights like the Sanctuary of Madonna di Pancole, READ MORE
- Take a step back in time at Fabbrica Di San Martino, a luxury agriturismo near to both Lucca and Pisa in western Tuscany which has self catering accommodation in a beautifully restored, over 250 year old, manor farmhouse. The property is palace like, and truly gorgeous, as is the location; set high among green hills it offers lovely views over the surrounding countryside at every turn. It is an organic & biodynamic agriturismo which makes its own quality wine and olive oil and promises a healthy, relaxing rural retreat but with easy reach of the popular tourist cities of Lucca and Pisa. THE ACCOMMODATION: The stunning property has top quality suites and apartments, which can sleep up to four, and blend the rustic charm of an 18th century farmhouse with 21st century standards of comfort. Check your options on the booking page here. The floors and the wood beamed ceilings are all original and much of the well chosen antique furniture dates back to similar eras. All the units come with TV, WiFi and a well equipped kitchenette. They are spacious too with good sized sitting areas and have some lovely design touches; you’ll find nice lighting and traditional furniture and fittings which lend a cosy, rustic Tuscan farmhouse feel. The grounds are large with an outdoor swimming pool and plenty of space for relaxing, dining or just wandering around, and you’ll find beautiful views at every turn. The accommodation is self catering but you can also order a fresh breakfast to be brought to your suite every morning. There is no restaurant at the agriturismo but there are a few good restaurants, cafes and shops just a few minutes away. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos on the booking page here. THE FARM: Lucca is famous in Tuscany for the quality of its olive oil (The gold of Lucca) and this agriturismo doesn’t disappoint in this regard, producing nearly 500 litres of premium organic and biodynamic extra virgin olive oils from its 10 acres of olive groves. All the olives are hand picked and milled within 12 hours of harvesting and are of the READ MORE
- In the heart of the vineyards around Greve in Chianti, Tuscany, Italy, and near to both Florence and Siena, Agriturismo Podere Campriano is a beautifully rustic, family owned organic farmstay that produces some quality wine and olive oil and offers cooking classes and winery tours. It is very much a peaceful little oasis but yet only a 5 to 10 minute walk to the town of Greve in Chianti itself. THE ACCOMMODATION: All their B&B suites and rooms (you can check your options on the booking page here), and their self catering apartment, are clean, spacious and tastefully furnished, and all have WiFi throughout. While outside in the gardens you’ll find plenty of space to relax, with a salt water swimming pool and barbecue facilities. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos on the booking page here. THE FARM, THE WINE & THE FOOD: Guests are welcome to wander the hillside vineyards and olive groves, and can also arrange guided tours of both the farm and the winery, to learn a bit about the production process and partake in tasting sessions. Their winery produces some quality organic wines as well as Bolero elixir, a unique type of grape syrup that they have been making at Agriturismo Podere Campriano for generations. The farm stay also has some helpful daily cooking classes where you can learn how to make some of the local specialities that make Tuscany, and Chianti, so famous in culinary circles. THE LOCATION: Tuscany might just claim to be Italy’s most admired region and if so Chianti could easily claim to be the Tuscany of Tuscany, so to speak. It is the very heart of the region and has a rural charm that manages to defy the masses of tourists that visit it every year. It is a place of winding roads, gentle green hills and fertile land that has been producing some of the world’s best wines and olive oil since at least medieval times. Dotted among this lovely countryside you’ll also find some classically beautiful Tuscan towns, none more so perhaps than Greve in Chianti itself, the gateway to Chianti, and the location READ MORE
- S.Andrea is a spectacular Tuscan agriturismo in the little hamlet of Fabbrica, a half an hour from Florence. Its villa complex, which dates back to medieval times sits on a strategic hilltop and has incredible views over Chianti. Though they also have 5 rooms in the main building, the majority of its accommodation is in the form of rustic style, self-catering apartments in two separate sites each of which have gardens and outdoor swimming pools. The surrounding 1500 acre farm produces its own Chianti Classico wine and olive oil, and their restaurant is a great introduction to traditional Tuscan, and Italian food. THE ACCOMMODATION: You have a choice of double B&B rooms and various self catering apartments, to sleep up to six, at S.Andrea. The apartments, as mentioned, are not at the reception building which also houses the restaurant, but in their own semi-independent renovated villas. Both are surrounded by beautifully tended gardens and come with a pool, a barbecue and outdoor dining area, and a kid’s playground. The style is very much traditional Tuscan with terracotta floors, wood beamed ceilings and large stone fireplaces, but with all modern conveniences. Check out all the details on the booking page here. They are fully self catering but guests will be very tempted to try the excellent on-site restaurant – Osteria la Capanna del Gallo, and you can also hire a private chef for your apartment. Apart from lounging happily around the property and taking in the views, guests can partake in wine and olive oil tastings, cooking classes, tours of the farm, hire bikes (including e-bikes) or vespas, join a bike tour, and enjoy yoga, massages, reflexology and Ayurveda treatments. Lots of off-site activities can be arranged by the hotel too such as hot air balloon rides, horse riding, tennis, wine tours and tours of Florence and Siena etc. THE LOCATION: Villa S.Andrea dominates the ancient hamlet of Fabbrica, 10 km from San Casciano Val Di Pesa, and close to a great range of historical villages (the staff at S.Andrea will have plenty of recommendations and also offer tours) including Sant’Andrea in Percussina where you can visit the house, now a READ MORE
- Il Segreto di Pietrafitta is a very atmospheric, 15th century era farmhouse just outside San Gimignano. It is a thoroughly charming place with a stunning hillside location, excellent food and beautifully rustic accommodation. Most people seem to agree with us: it is possibly Tuscany’s most highly rated agriturismo, so be prepared to book in advance. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have mostly double and triple rooms here, plus a self catering apartment, with breakfast and dinner included in the rate. The rooms are gorgeous – think classic Tuscan wood beamed ceilings, terracotta floors, sturdy hand-crafted furniture and colourfully tiled, old style bathrooms. Their ‘Superior Double Room’ is the pick of the rooms we think. It is more spacious and its layout makes it feel just that bit nicer. If you don’t have too much budget constraint, the pick of the accommodation overall is probably the apartment though. It is a beautiful space with a well equipped, stylish kitchen and lounge area and one bedroom with queen size bed, plus there’s a sofa bed in the lounge. It is the most popular accommodation choice though and generally gets booked up very far in advance. All the accommodation comes with standard hotel perks – large screen satellite TVs, WiFi, mini-bars, study desks and tea/coffee making stations. Check out all the details on the booking page here. Note: Agriturismo Il Segreto di Pietrafitta is adults only (16+). Note 2: There is a four night minimum stay. There is a nice swimming pool in the grounds which has sweeping views over the surrounding countryside, including the towers of San Gimignano. The buffet style homemade breakfast and à la carte evening meal (vegetarian options always available) are served in their wonderful outdoor terrace during the warmer months. Both breakfast and dinner are included in the room rate. The farmhouse is surrounded by olive trees and organic fruit and vegetable groves. They make their own branded extra virgin olive oil here which guests are welcome to sample, and they do cooking lessons too. They have regular Yoga sessions (and lessons for beginners) and also provide a range of massage therapies. You can rent out electric bikes at the READ MORE
- Just a few minutes from San Gimignano, the 17th century era Agriturismo Mormoraia is consistently among Tuscany’s most highly rated agriturismi. It is a beautiful property surrounded by organic wine and extra-virgin olive oil producing farmland, it has gorgeous views of the San Gimignano towers and surrounding countryside, elegant, luxurious accommodation, fabulous food, an outdoor swimming pool, and a spa and wellness centre. Among the animals that call the farm home are horses, ponies, donkeys, goats, sheep, ducks and hens, and guests can enjoy activities such as horse riding, e-biking, hiking, cooking classes, wine and olive oil tasting. THE ACCOMMODATION: The Agriturismo has 30, very tastefully renovated, units varying in size and features from their entry level 16 m² (172 square feet) Classic Doubles to 70 m² Family Suites to sleep 4 and a 110 m² Self Catering 3 Bed Villa to sleep up to 6. Their most romantic suites, most might agree, are the Deluxe Double Rooms with Jacuzzi. None of the accommodation at Mormoraia will disappoint though: even their most basic rooms are thoroughly elegant affairs and come with all modern luxury hotel conveniences. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: Their breakfast is an enormous buffet with a mix of Tuscan, Italian and international, including some delectable cakes and sweet stuff. The property’s restaurant is open all day and mainly serves Tuscan traditional accompanied by a selection of the farm’s own organic wines. In the summer dining goes al-fresco on the terrace to create a quintessential Tuscan scene with the towers of San Gimignano in the distance Wine tasting, cellar and vineyard tours are available as are olive oil tastings and cooking classes. You can also go also horse riding, hiking and e-biking at Mormoraia and tour their extensive farm. Other facilities include a swimming pool in the beautifully tended gardens, a sauna, a Turkish bath and a beauty and wellness centre with a menu of various massages and health and beauty treatments. LOCATION: Mormoraia is equidistance between Siena and Florence, at a little under an hour from each, and just minutes away from the spectacular town of San Gimignano. The agriturismo is not served by public transport, but READ MORE
- Near the village of Sorano and the town of Pitigliano, Tuscany, Italy, this is a classic Tuscan farmhouse stay on a working farm that produces some award winning extra virgin olive oil. The setting is quite isolated, not a lot of tourists come to this part of the region, and Poggio dell’Olivo has a reputation for providing a more genuine example of Tuscan rural life than many of the luxury type agriturismos that prevail in the more touristic parts. THE ACCOMMODATION: Their clean, comfortable self catering apartments are in a traditional Tuscan style and come with kitchen, bathroom and lounge. There’s plenty of outdoor space too with a lovely terrace, garden, barbecue and swimming pool just outside your door. The accommodation is self-catering but you can arrange a nice Italian breakfast from the hospitable owners for a small extra charge. Feel free of course to wander the farm and inspect some of their quality, home made, extra virgin olive oil. You can also buy some to take home if you wish. Note: There is good WiFi coverage around the reception and the restaurant but the signal in the accommodation can be quite weak. THE LOCATION: Beyond that there is some beautiful Tuscan countryside to explore and you can hire bikes for free at Poggio Dell’Olivo to get you started. There is a also a horse farm nearby which offers horse riding. The nearby hilltop town of Pitigliano is the obvious star attraction of this part of Tuscany but generally you’ll find the surrounding area free from the tourist hoards who descent on the region, especially in Summer, thus this agriturismo is well suited to see the more hidden ‘real side’ of rural Tuscany. Other nice days out in the area include the Saturnia thermal baths, and a little farther away the lovely Bolsena Lake. WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY: “Very nice location, if you are after an isolated farm out of the city and away from the swarms of tourist groups. Can give you the true Tuscany experience….” “This is a little paradise! What a beautiful place. In the amazing area of Pittigliano, Sovana and Sorano….” >> CLICK HERE TO READ MORE READ MORE
- Allegro Agriturismo Argiano, near the ancient Etruscan city of Arezzo, is a wonderful place to relax and unwind in the heart of some typically gorgeous Tuscan countryside. It’s a hillside farm so the views are lovely and being surrounded by rows of olive groves, orchards and old woodlands it feels, and very much is, close to the peace of nature. It’s very much a family farm too and they make some quality food stuffs, extra virgin olive oil and various jams for example, and also Vinsanto, a traditional Tuscan sweet wine made from raisins. THE ACCOMMODATION: The accommodation is in the form of two two bed apartments just off the main farmhouse, both of which have one double room and one twin. They are cosy with well equipped kitchens and nice lounge areas with fireplace. They have central heating and air-con, and the interiors will impress all round with some beautiful design and decor on display, very much in keeping with the historic, traditional, nature of the farmhouse. The exteriors are wonderful too, nice terraces and gardens with seating, an outside dining area, and a swimming pool too. All of it is surrounded by hundreds of fruit, cypress and oak trees, and overlooked by the lovely Tuscan hills. It’s a family owned agriturismo and you’ll find the family friendly and helpful. THE FARM: The owners are enthusiastic about their busy little farm, with the main work being in the production of fruit, and a huge variety of fruit at that: Strawberries, blackberries, figs, walnuts, cherries, apricots, apples, grapes and olives. There will always be some little home made goodies to try, their fresh fruits of course, and also their previously mentioned Vinsanto wine and extra virgin olive oil. You can buy plenty of their farm produce to cook with in the apartment and to take home with you afterwards. THE LOCATION: Tuscany can get pretty busy with tourists, especially in Summertime and though the agriturismo is just 3km from historical Arezzo, within walking distance really, it is a very peaceful oasis of calm. There is 40 acres of woodland surrounding the farm and is a lovely place for a quiet READ MORE
- In a picture perfect, hillside setting outside the town of Castellina in Chianti near Siena, Agriturismo Querceto Di Castellina has self catering cottages on a busy, eco-friendly, working farm which produces high quality organic wines, grappa and extra virgin olive oil. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have a great choice of rustic 15th-century cottages, all with kitchen, lounge and dining area, WiFi and flat screen TV with satellite channels. In the grounds you will find a nice outdoor swimming pool too and well kept gardens surrounded by the farms acres of vineyards and olive groves. It has its own boutique winery and a feature of a stay here is their excellent wine tasting sessions. The food too is highly rated, as are their popular cooking classes at the farmhouse where guests can learn how to prepare a whole host of traditional Tuscan dishes. They have various snacks and small food items available throughout the day too at their wine and cheese bar. Pets are allowed at no extra charge, they have an outdoor play area for children, and have a range of extra services like bicycle hire, breakfast delivered to your room, special diet menus etc. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos on the booking page here. THE FARM & VINEYARD: This family-run is in the finest Tuscan agriturismo tradition, it offers top quality service while also keeping busy producing organic wines and olive oil. Its vineyards are high on a hilltop in ideal conditions for producing its highly rated organic Chianti Classicos; L’aura Chianti Classico and Sei Chianti Classico Gran Selezione. Their vineyard and boutique winery can be visited and you can learn a lot from the owners about what goes in to producing top quality organic wines. They produce some good grappa and extra virgin olive oil too which can be sampled at the farmstay and you can of course, just like the wine, buy some to take home. THE LOCATION: The famously beautiful countryside of Tuscany and especially Chianti has been enticing visitors both domestic and foreign for generations now. Its fertile farms have been producing a lot of Italy‘s best wines for hundreds READ MORE
- Very near the famous town of San Gimignano, Tuscany, Italy, Agriturismo Macinatico is a wonderful rural escape that has great views of the town’s iconic medieval towers and of the surrounding countryside. It makes its own top quality extra virgin olive oil and wine which you can enjoy sampling in some beautifully tended gardens or lounging by its outdoor swimming pool. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have a total of self catering apartments are large and spacious with varying numbers of bedrooms that can sleep up to ten people. They are also clean and very comfortable, with private bathroom, flat screen TV with satellite channels, full kitchen and a lounge area. The owners are very hospitable and friendly and you’ll be welcomed on your arrival with a food hamper containing some basic essentials, bread, coffee etc. plus some nice home made pastries, biscuits and other treats. Outside in the lovely gardens you’ll find barbecue facilities, a kids playground and an outdoor swimming pool with views of the San Gimignano towers. The views from the farm stay are spectacular; you can lay back and enjoy the San Gimignano towers, the vineyards, and all that gorgeous Tuscan landscape while just sitting back at the edge of the pool. THE FARM & VINEYARD: The have acres of vineyards and olive groves surrounding the farmhouse. They produce their own quality cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and various wines here, and they have a small farm shop which sells both, with wines such as Vernaccia Macinatico and Massi DOCG, Toscana Bianco and Rosso IGT, Chianti and Disciplinare Chianti, to name just a few, plus many other good local foodstuffs. You’ll find the owners friendly and enthusiastic and very much experts on the subject of food and wine. Make sure you ask them for a free tour of their vineyards and production lines. THE LOCATION: Just 6 km from one of Tuscany’s most popular tourist towns, San Gimignano, but still gorgeously silent, peaceful and rural, Agriturismo Macinatico has an undeniably good location. For those of you not yet familiar, this very historic town is on the itinerary of pretty much every visitor to rural Tuscany, so much so READ MORE
- Near the city of Pisa, Tuscany, and with easy access to the Florence-Pisa highway, La Lecceta has luxury self catering farmhouses to rent on the grounds of the famous Fattoria Varramista Wine Estate. The farmhouses have two, three or four bedrooms, to sleep up to eight people, with a minimum stay of three nights. All of them are beautifully decorated in rustic Tuscan farmhouse style and are spacious, comfortable and well equipped. The estate does a full program of wine tourism which guests are welcome to join and the large estate is lovely to wander around, with acres of vineyards, woodland and gardens which include a nice outdoor swimming pool. The views are pretty special too; open countryside for miles around and the city of Pisa away in the distance. THE ACCOMMODATION: Their spacious farmhouses range from two to four bedrooms to sleep up to eight people (check your options on the booking page here, and note there is a minimum stay of 3 nights). All are tastefully decorated to accentuate the rustic farmhouse ambience with contemporary facilities; WiFi, satellite TV, air con etc. alongside the wood beamed ceilings, tiled floors, antique furniture and pastel shaded walls. They have well equipped, modern kitchens plus plenty of space for dining, and drinking some of the fabulous wine that is made on the estate. All the accommodation has a semi private outdoor area too with table and chairs. The estate is vast and there is a lot to explore. There is an outdoor swimming pool in the beautifully tended lawns and all around are vineyards, olive groves and woodland. It is classic rural Tuscany; lovely to wander around and somewhere you can usually spot some local wildlife in the quiet of the evening, deers, wild pigs and rabbits for example. Whether wine is an interest of yours or not a vineyard and wine cellar tour at the fattoria is interesting and educational. You can also buy some of their excellent wines (reds from sangiovese and syrah grapes), grappa, extra virgin olive oil and nocino (walnut liqueur) to take home. The accommodation is all self catering and there is no restaurant at the READ MORE
- The very highly rated Agriturismo Renaccino near Siena, Tuscany, is well known in the local area for breeding thoroughbred riding horses, but also provides rustic self catering accommodation in traditional cottage style apartments. The owners are helpful and friendly and the countryside surrounding is typically Tuscan, but also quiet and peaceful despite being less than 10km from the much visited city of Siena. THE ACCOMMODATION: You have a choice of one and two bed apartments to sleep a maximum of four people. They are in traditional Tuscan farmhouse style, romantic and cosy with a well equipped kitchen and lounge, WiFi and TV. Outside in the gardens and lawns there is plenty of seating/outdoor dining space and a salt water swimming pool. You’ll find the owners of Agriturismo Renaccino extremely helpful and friendly, and you can quite quickly feel like you’re part of the family. Though they don’t cook a breakfast for you but every morning they do provide a daily generous selection of what a Tuscan might call ‘basic food staples’ but what for outside visitors is more like a sumptuous hamper of fresh food: eggs, cheeses, various breads, salami, some delicious homemade cakes, and more. Guests are welcome to take a look around the farm and can learn a little about horse breeding from the enthusiastic horse loving owners. It is a thoroughbred breeding farm so they are quite sensibly careful with the animals, which means they don’t allow horse riding or provide horse riding lessons, but you can get up close and admire these beautiful creatures just the same. THE LOCATION: The agriturismo is super convenient for the famously beautiful and historic city of Siena, less than 10km away, and just to the north of the equally famously beautiful Val d’Orcia, which, like Siena, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and a place steeped in important medieval history. Towns like Montalcino, Castiglion d’Orcia, Pienza and many, many more live and breath that history and the countryside in between is a rural wonderland of rolling green hills and winding roads. WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY: “Location, value, owner, gardens. The place is perfection….” “Sabrina’s place is just amazing! Super beautiful and READ MORE
- Near the city of Florence and nearer still to Leonardo’s home town of Vinci, Chianti, Tuscany, Agriturismo Colle da Vinci is a classically rustic hillside farmhouse surrounded by organic olive groves and enjoys some stunning views of the Montalbano Valley, especially from the ideally placed swimming pool in the gardens. THE ACCOMMODATION: There are five pleasantly old style self catering farmhouse apartments, which can sleep up to four with one double bedroom and one double sofa bed in the lounge and children’s cots can also be provided if needed. You can check your options on the booking page here, and be advised there is a two night minimum stay. They are all spacious and well equipped and you’ll find them bright, airy and comfortable. Though the bathrooms err on the side of modern the general feel is of a homely, rustic Tuscan farmhouse, with wood beamed or brick ceilings, tiled floors and crisp white walls. WiFi and satellite flat screen TVs feature too though and the standards of comfort and cleanliness are certainly of the modern age. Outside they all have their own semi private space with table and chairs and with the agriturismo having such a wonderful hillside location there are wonderful views of the Montalbano Valley to be enjoyed from all around. The well tended gardens have a swimming pool from where you can also admire the views and in general there is plenty of space to lounge around or dine al fresco on the terraces or around the gardens. There’s a barbecue area too, and a play area for kids. The main business of the farm is in the making of organic extra virgin olive oil which guests are welcome to sample and of course also to buy to take home. You can also learn about farm work from the friendly owners; the processes involved in the growing and pressing of the olives etc. THE LOCATION: Agriturismo Colle da Vinci is just outside Leonardo’s home town of Vinci (which is still, for historic reasons, actually a city) and also lies within the Montalbano Natural Park, which was once named Barco Reale, a famous hunting ground created by READ MORE
- The homely Agriturismo Fattoria La Prugnola has a great variety of accommodation, including glamping style yurts and a tree house, on an organic, eco-friendly olive farm in the gentle hills of Montescudaio, near Pisa in Tuscany’s upper Maremma/northern Maremma region. The location is idyllic; it is very much surrounded by nature and in its isolated setting you can enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding countryside all the way down to the famous Etruscan Coast and the sea beyond. THE ACCOMMODATION: There really is a great choice at this agriturismo with cottages, apartments, yurts and a tree house available for up to eight people per unit. So much so that to describe them all individually would take some time but suffice to say that they are all charming in their own way. You’ll find them well equipped, comfortable, clean and cosy, and all have all a nice rustic, Tuscan farmhouse feel to them, with much antique furniture, wood beamed ceilings and soothing pastel shades. Their 5 yurts are not by any means traditional Tuscan of course but they are beautifully put together, spacious and homely. And they are also nicely furnished, blending well some of those same rustic farmhouse touches with the more colourful and exotic ‘walls and ceilings’ of the Central Asian origin yurt. Four of them can sleep up to four people, using one double bed and one double sofa bed, while the largest of them can sleep up to five people with the help of an extra sofa bed. They all too have their own external, private bathrooms. The cosy, romantic tree house is a special property too, and very much sought after, be aware that minimum stay restrictions apply over the summer; in June to September the minimum stay is three nights while in July and August it is one week, from Saturday to Saturday. The treehouse is made entirely of wood and built around a large oak tree. It is small with just a double bed, a bedside table and wardrobe but it also has a very nice outdoor terrace with table and chairs, which offers some unique views of the woods and if you’re lucky READ MORE