For a modern Icelandic farm holiday experience near the famous Gulfoss waterfall in Iceland’s Golden Circle, and relatively near Reykjavik (within an hour’s drive), Farm Hotel Efstidalur mixes the hotel and farm sides of the business with ease.
Though it might be far from the idea of a traditional Icelandic farmhouse, it has very good facilities; an excellent restaurant and bar, a nice terrace with seating and a hot tub outside, and in summer you can explore the lovely local countryside on one of their horse riding trips.
It has a great range of B&B rooms, from doubles and twins to family rooms that can sleep up to seven. The rooms are nicely wood paneled giving them a slightly traditional feel, all have en suite bathroom and there is WiFi throughout.
They have a very good restaurant at the farm with lots of good fresh local food, including breakfast. There’s also a cafe and home made ice cream shop in the converted barn. There is also a nice and sociable bar there too with a good selection of drinks, and outside you’ll find seating, a terrace area and also a very Icelandic geothermal hot tub.
The farm is a fully working farm, in the same family since 1850, with cows and Icelandic horses. It’s pretty large you can take plenty of long walks around it and on into the surrounding countryside, or you could also hire one of their many horses, by yourself or go out on guided treks.
The farm owners are enthusiastic about farming and are always happy to show guests around. You can take a look around the dairy too from where the cafe gets some of its fresh ice cream from, and where they also produce their own cheese and what is known as skyr, a very traditional Icelandic type of yoghurt.
The hotel is within the well known Golden Circle Tour Region of Iceland, about an hour’s drive west of the capital Reykjavik. It’s also only 15 minutes away from the spectacular Gulfoss waterfall, one of Iceland’s most popular natural attractions, as well as the Geysir hot springs, where the most famous geyser of all, Strokkur Geyser, erupts almost on cue every 10 to 12 minutes.
You’ll find quite a few tourists around there of course, but if it gets too much you can take a walk into the nearby Haukadalsskógur forest, a quite enchanting, serene, place where you can get happily lost in the peace of nature.
The shallow waters of Lake Laugarvatn and its geothermal Fontana Baths are another popular stop off on the Golden Circle and very close by too. You can enjoy some river rafting and canoeing on the Hvítá river about 20km away and the Slakki Petting Zoo and Family Park in Laugarás, also about 20km away, can be a nice day out for the family.
There is also the very historic and very beautiful Þingvellir National Park, around which you will pass if you are coming from Reykjavik, it’s about 25 minute’s drive from the farm and is practically a must see in Iceland.
The nearest places with shops and services would be Laugarvatn, by the lake of the same name, 13 km away, or the towns of Reykholt and Flúðir slightly farther away.
WHAT OTHER GUESTS SAY:
“The room was warm and comfortable. The location was right out in the golden circle making it perfect for exploring. And the ice cream really is fabulous…”
“Amazing place, very good service and location. The kids really enjoyed the stay and can’t wait to go back!.. ”
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Efstidalur 2, 801 Laugarvatn
- Farm With Animals
- Hot Tub
People are also looking at these nearby farm stays:
- Solheimar Eco-Village is a special kind of farm stay near Reykjavik, Iceland. It is, as the name suggests, not just a farm but an entire community, with strong ecological principles and an artistic, cultured, atmosphere. In terms of farming they grow organic fruit and vegetables which you can buy in the village shop to cook with or to take home, Read more...
- This great farm stay offers horse riding near Iceland’s, Golden Circle route and accommodation in the form of a comfortable, modern, self catering villa which sleeps up to six people beside the main farmhouse. It is located near the village of Hella, about 80km south of Reykjavík airport, in an area that is as peacefully rural and serene as you Read more...
- Farmer’s Guest House has self catering farm cottage accommodation near the towns of Selfoss and Hella and close to Iceland‘s famous Golden Circle tourist route. The setting is deeply peaceful and rural, with some lovely views, the cottages are well equipped, clean and cosy, and the farm owners are friendly and welcoming. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have three cosy one double bedroom Read more...
- Guesthouse Steindórsstadir is a friendly farm house B&B in a lovely setting near the Hraunfossar and Barnafoss waterfalls north of Reykjavik, Iceland. The accommodation is fairly basic but lacks nothing in terms of cleanliness or comfort and there is a nice friendly atmosphere around the common areas which include an outdoor hot tub. The working farm dates back nearly Read more...